Parent Code of Conduct
CLUB/PROGRAM is committed to creating a safe and positive environment for members’ physical, emotional and social development and ensuring that it promotes an environment free of misconduct.
Preamble: The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, trustworthiness and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character” (Arizona Sports Summit Accord).
1. I will encourage good sportsmanship by my actions, demonstrating positive support for all skaters, coaches, and officials at every practice, competition and test session.
2. I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my child and others ahead of my desire to win.
3. I will encourage my child to skate in a safe and healthy environment by maintaining a respectful and courteous attitude to others.
4. I will promptly inform my child’s coach of any physical/mental disability or challenge affecting my child that may affect the safety of my child or others.
5. I will teach my child that doing his/her best is more important than winning.
6. I will do my best not to ridicule, bully, blame, or yell at my child or other skaters, coaches, officials or volunteers in response to a poor performance or for any other reason.
7. I will do my best to make skating fun at all times and will remember that my child participates in sports for his/her own enjoyment and satisfaction.
8. I will teach my child to treat other skaters, coaches, fans, volunteers, officials, and rink staff with respect, regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation or ability. I will also take action and report any acts of bullying, harassment or abuse to the appropriate authorities.
9. I will applaud any effort in both victory and defeat emphasizing positive accomplishments and learning from mistakes.
10. I will teach my child to resolve conflicts calmly and peacefully without resorting to hostility or violence.
11. I will be a positive role model for my child and others.
12. I will demand a figure skating environment for my child that is free of drug or alcohol abuse and agree that I will not use or provide to a third-party any illegal drug prohibited by applicable federal, state, or municipal law.
13. I will not assist or condone any athlete’s use of a banned substance as described by the International Olympic Committee, International Skating Union, United States Olympic Committee, or U.S. Figure Skating, or, in case of athletes, to use such drugs or refuse to submit to properly conducted drug tests administered by one of these organizations.
14. I will expect my child’s coach to be in compliance with all requirements of U.S. Figure Skating and the Professional Skaters Association, to continue their education and training through programs offered by U.S. Figure Skating, the Professional Skaters Association and other accredited organizations.
15. I will respect my child’s coach and refrain from “side line” coaching my child or other skaters.
16. I agree to educate myself regarding the proper procedures to follow when establishing or terminating the coaching relationship and refrain from third-party solicitation as outlined on the PSA website.
17. I will respect the decisions of officials, their authority and decisions during competitions and test sessions and teach my child to do the same.
18. I will show appreciation and recognize the importance of volunteers and club officials. I will fulfill my responsibility to help my club with membership, special projects,
competitions and test sessions.
19. I will become familiar with the rules of the U.S. Figure Skating and teach my child accordingly.
20. I will support and respect all skaters and their right to participate.